Saturday, July 17, 2010

Days Three and Four












Days Three and Four

I have taken the liberty to combine days three and four due to the fact that much of Nebraska and Wyoming are riding without too much to see. Combine this with 95 degree plus weather and it becomes all about getting to the destination.

Day three was pretty much uneventful as I picked up the LH by Omaha Nebraska and made my way across the corn husker state. Last year I rode a north western route across Nebraska through the sand trail so there was mainly grass and cattle. This year’s route had corn written all over it.

The Lincoln Highway in Wyoming is mainly cover by I80. There are plenty of old alignments but the roads are not paved and there is sand everywhere. Not the type of road to take an 800 pound bagger on. The landscape in Wyoming is as pretty as it gets. Plenty of wide open range. Montana is Big Sky country but I can’t see it being any better than Wyoming. The great part was that the increase in elevation brought temps down to a bearable level.
The two highlights of Day four were the Virginian Hotel and the Lincoln Monument. The Virginian is a restored turn of the Century Hotel in Medicine Bow, Wyoming. I planned on staying there but something about the place gave me the creeps so I decided to stay in Rawlings. The place was fine but I felt like I was at the hotel in the movie “The Shining”. Still very cool.

The Lincoln monument is unique as in it is the only true monument to Abe Lincoln on the old road that bears his name. Unfortunately I do not have a picture until later to share. This thing is GIGNATIC to say the least. It was originally located on the highest point of the LH but was moved in 1969 due to I80

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your reports. Too bad you talked yourself out a night at the Virginian. I stayed there last August and quite enjoyed it but I understand that instincts are tough to ignore. There are some newer motel rooms beside the original building for those seeking modern amenities. I hope you at least briefly bellied up to the bar for a beer or a sasparilla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    Your posts are enjoyable. When you come through Sacramento, I would be happy to ride with to the Bay area. PM me at RoadGlide.org

    Cheers,
    James, A.K.A. RoadGlide5150

    ReplyDelete