Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day One - July 14th.


As I stated in an earlier blog entry, today was going to be mostly what I would call a getaway day. My main goal was to make my way past Chicago which I was able to accomplish. The biggest drawback to a day like this is that you are doing some heavy highway riding. The only thing worse than highway traffic is riding in CHICAGO highway traffic. Riding highways just does not offer too much to a biker other than getting miles out of the way


Earlier in the day while stopping for fuel in Indiana I met another biker also named Chris. He is from Oregon and his goal was to ride the perimeter of the USA. He has been on the road since early May. I asked him what he does that allows hi the time and he smiled and told me that he is a computer graphic touch up artist and that he was laid off. With a wink and a smile he stated he was out looking for a new job.


Once I moved past Chicago I took 294 North with my goal being to get to Old Route 20, the U.S.Grant Memorial Highway. US 20 will take me into Iowa right by Dyersville (Field of Dreams) and then North to Clear Lake to the Surf Ball Room. The Surf Ball Room? Why the Surf Ball Room? If you are a lover of music and a bit of a historian you will know its significance you know... if not you will need to read tomorrow’s blog. :) Sorry.


After an entire day on the super slab and now North West of Chicago I put the bike on an old two lane black top (RT 20) heading West to Lena Illinois. Lena was a Stage Coach town back in the day and is now a small farm town with a population of 2900. SAAAAAAAALUUUUUTE! Ple4ase excuse my Hee Haw Reference. It seemed fitting.


Check out the Car Hop here in Lena



The great thing about riding old roads is the overall experience. The best description I can give you is that it is "SMELL-A-VISION" The sites slow down, the sounds become more noticeable, the temperatures change when you go through shaded areas or down through a small dip. Perhaps the best part would be the fragrance of the road. They are always changing as you make your way through various areas. It provides an experience is hard to explain but incredible to experience.


That's it for tonight. Tomorrow I will end up in Omaha Nebraska where I will once again meet up with the Lincoln Highway.



More tomorrow from the Lincoln Highway and Beyond.

1 comment:

  1. We stopped for the night in Rawlins WY on our way home from Silverwood last year. Pete found a little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant that was deelicious. I saw on a TV show later that Rawlins has a device, a gallows in which the condemned hangs himself. No hangman needed! Might be worth looking up the historical society! Have fun!

    Paula Grecco

    ReplyDelete