Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day 6 On the Lincoln Highway / July 19th













Day 6 – July 19th, 2010
Salt Lake City Utah to Ely Nevada

Figuring the day would be a hot one with temperatures reaching nearly 100 degrees I decided to get on the road by 6:30AM. It is a good thing I did this because it took me over one hour to escape from Salt Lake City due to the morning rush hour. I was using the 1913 LH alignment which took me through some pretty busy areas. Once I was moving the trip was quite rewarding because it started with a trip around the Southern tip of the Great Salt Lake. The trip was worth it just to see the lake. The section between Magna and Lake Point offer superb views.


Just after 138 merged back on to I80the trip over the flats started. The trip over the flats seemed to go on forever because it is quite far to tell you the truth. They eventually brought you to the last city in Utah and the first city in Nevada and the line is easy to see… poor and then wealthy. Wendover is a nice town that features a 60 foot waving cowboy named Wendover Will.

On a side note... while at Wendover I met a nice older gentleman who was wearing his Korean War Veteran hat. I politely shook his hand and thanked him for his service. He replied thanks and that he does not get this too much which in my view in unfortunate.

I asked him if he has been to Wash. DC to see the Korean War Memorial and his face went from happy to sad. He replied that with what is happening in DC right now that he has no reason to go there. He also added that he was not happy with the memorial because it is only representing the Army and no other branch. He explained that he was a first gunners mate on the USS Iowa during Korea and that over 4000 enlisted Navy men and women gave the ultimate sacrifice for our country and that they are not represented on the memorial.

Good point that one cannot argue.


Back on the Lincoln Highway.... Once through Wendover I went North on 93A to Ely. This was a trip of over 100 miles with almost NO services available anywhere. It is essential to have proper attire, equipment and water when going through these areas. No problems for me. I am spending the night in the historic Nevada Hotel in Ely Nevada.

The Nevada is a classic hotel from the 1920’s and is very nice with rooms under 40.00 and a discount for bikers. Seeing all of the motorcycles parked directly in front of the hotel is quite a site. They certainly have targeted a market and seem to be doing quite well. While at the Nevada a few friends from my online forum "The Road King Riders" www.roadkingriders.com Visited me at the Hotel Nevada. They brought me the Road King Riders Flag. I will carry the flto another member somewhere else in the USA. The flag (each person who holds it gets to sign it), the map that shows the flags travels and the log book are now in my possession.

The Road King Riders have been doing this since 2006. COOL STUFF.




Day 7 takes me to Route 50 which is known as “The Loneliest Road. It runs between Ely and Reno if you take the original LH route and Carson City if you take a later alignment. Since the heat will be above 100 degrees I packed the bike the night before so I can get on the road before 6:30. Gotta stay cool.

That’s it until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment