Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 8 The Last Day On The LH













Days Eight - July 21 The day started in Reno NV with temps that were pretty low. I was able to get some great rest and was ready to complete my trip on the Lincoln Highway by reaching the Western Terminus by the Golden Gate Bridge.

The unique thing about an old road like this is there are many ways to travel it. Because of multiple alignments you could probably run this trip 25 times and never run the same roads. Add the new interstates that replaced much of the road and changes in the urban landscape and you can see why this is.


I decided to take the northern alignment that went through Sacramento. The southern route goes to Carson City, around Lake Tahoe, through Stockton and then on to the city by the bay. I decided to take the Northern route because a member of the forum www.roadglide.org who lives in Sacramento offered to help me make my way to the Western Terminus. I met James and his wife Jennifer near Sacramento. They ride a vivid black 2010 Road Glide Just like mine… a bit cleaner though.  James and Jennifer were great and made the day fantastic for me.

Before I met them I jumped off of I80 by Trukee California and drove on Donner Road. Yes, that is Donner as in the Donner Party. Donner Road goes right through Donner Pass in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. You are in the heart of some of the most gorgeous scenery you will ever see.


If you have ever been to Northern California and the San Fran area you know about fog and cold mornings. Today was no different with the morning ride temp around 45 degrees. Once in San Fran the temps were in the 50’s and the wind made it quite cool. We decided to go to the terminus in Lincoln Park and then get some lunch afterward. We had lunch at Tsing Tao Chinese Restaurant. It was near Lincoln Park and the food was very good with quick service.

Once in San Fran we made our way through some city traffic and block after block of red lights. First we went by Fisherman’s Wharf and then onto California Street as we worked our way north to Lincoln Park and the LH Terminus.
Once in the Park it only took two tries to locate the end of this historic road. The concrete post is a reproduction of the original post that was missing for years and then was found thrown over a nearby hill by vandals.


I was quite satisfied to make it to this historic location but I was dismayed to see that the city built a bus stop right next to it.
Riding the Lincoln Highway is an adventure that I recommend to anyone who is considering it. Make certain you get the books by Brian Butko. They will provide much of what you need to make the trip and will give you some great sites to see along the way.

After completing the LH we took Highway 101 north across the Golden Gate Bridge and I finished the day by reaching my campsite in Petaluma.

No comments:

Post a Comment