Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 9 - July 22












Day Nine

Petaluma to Eureka California

I originally intended to immediately go to the coast from Petaluma but a member of the Road King Riders Forum (Dave A. / Hippie Dave) who lives in Mendocino suggested I take 101 to Cloverdale and then take 128 West to the Coast. I decided I would have plenty of coast to ride so I listened to his advice and I am glad I did.

California Rt 128 is the BEST road I have ever been one. It is quite long with a ton of twisty turns some nice sweepers and some straight sections although not too many. The scenery varied from Wineries to farm like areas, to some real hilly terrain. This road is as real as it gets. Thanks for sharing Dave.

Once on the coast it was very cold. Hard to believe it is July. The funny thing is if you go east 10 miles the temps will be 20 to 30 degrees higher. The coastal ride is also very worthwhile. The tempo is slow and there is a bunch to see. Tempo all depends on why you are there. Your choice.

Once in Mendocino I met up with Dave from the road King Riders so he could sign the flag that I am carrying for the time being. We had some good onion/garlic pastry at a coffee house and some good conversation.

Back on the road the coastal highway goes inland around Westport to come to an end at its intersection with Highway 101. Another great segment of 28 miles of twisties. Great road. Back on 101 you start making your way towards the great Red Woods and the boulevard of the Giants. The immense sze and beauty of these trees cannot be put into proper words. This is just so worthwhile to see.

The final stop of the day was at the Harley shop in Eureka where I met JJ, a displaced Pittsburgher who was quite happy to meet a Pittburgher out on the road. He saw my plate and asked where I was from in Pennsylvania. When I told him Pittsburgh he got off of his bike and started talking Pittsburgh stuff and Steeler football. He grew up in "The Burgh" and even though he left during the early 80's like many others did when the mills closed, he has always remained a Pittburgher. He said his brother is the same way. Cool stuff. Unfortunately there are bunches of really good Pittburgh People who were displaced during the 80's and have never come home.

See you tomorrow

CH

1 comment:

  1. What exactly is a Pittburgher? I understand what a Pittsburgher is.....is your s broken? Hahaha. I am jealous of your ability to take such a trip.

    ReplyDelete