Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day 10 / July 23rd













Day 10 /July 23 Eureka to North Bend Oregon


Today’s blog will be less about the ride and more about good road karma. Today’s ride started on the coast of Northern California. Home of the giant red woods and some gorgeous coastlines. When scheduling today’s ride I made a mistake and accidentally made the ride to short. Because of this I decided to make a day of it by visiting more of the shoreline and some of the cool little towns that dot their way on the coast as you look at a map.


After breakfast I was on the road and I passed more than a few beaches and opportunities to visit the coast line. For some reason I picked one about 15 miles up the coast. As I pulled in, I immediately noticed that a young boy was attempting to change the tire on his mother’s car. I decided to help him because he just did not know what he was doing. Within minutes we were working to remove the flat tire and replace it with the spare. While working I asked him if he knew why I decided to help him. Typical for a 7th grade boy he said… “I do not know”. My reply to him was because it is the correct thing to do. I went on the explain that when you do good things for others and except and accept nothing in return that you will feel good about yourself. I asked him to help someone else some day and he agreed to do so.



Once the spare was mounted we lowered the jack to find that the spare’s air pressure was too low to use and be safe. It was Justin’s lucky day for I had a mini air pump. Before he knew it the tire was full and he and his mom were able to go on their way.



As I stated before… the day was great with a low mileage count that allowed me to see some great small towns. Around 5:00 I pulled in to the KOA at North Bend Oregon by the Oregon Sand Dunes. As I was checking in a family of four were dismayed to find out they did not have a camp site for the evening. We made some small chat and then I told them I had a site because I made a reservation. After a little more talk and some simple horse trading… they told me they would make dinner if they could stay on my site. Before you knew it we were setting up tents and having a good time over a fine dinner with some great wine and great conversation too. Jake and Sue, their daughter Caroline and her fiancé Ken are from Canada and are taking some time to tour the USA on their motorcycles. They are currently going south towards San Fran.



So what does this have to do with the kid the spare tire? As I stated… when on a cycle and on a road trip it is all about karma. Instead of spending the night alone and eating some junk food because I was too tired to go get something I had a great evening, met some new friends. Pretty simple.



A trip like this has allowed me to me some great individuals. Justin from Dallas while camping in Salt Lake City, Roy from Winnipeg who I did Route 50 with, James and Jennifer who took me to San Fran from Sacramento California, JJ from Mckeesport, PA in the parking lot of a Harley shop, the Korean war vet who opened my eyes as to why the Korean War Memorial in DC is lacking, Bill and Rick from the Road King Riders who met me at the Nevada Motel with the flag, Dave Alden to sign he flag in Mendocino and now Jake, Sue, Caroline and Ken.



All people with something in common… GOOD KARMA.



Feel good about yourself by doing good for others and expecting and accepting nothing in return.



See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment