Friday, July 16, 2010

Day 2 - On The Lincoln Highway With Chris Hutter


















July 15th / Day 2

Bright and early I pulled out of Lena to continue my trip West on Iowa Rt. 20. Only minutes outside of Galena, IL, I drove past the homestead of Civil War General and US President U.S. Grant. A very nice homestead indeed! Route 2o took me across the Mississippi river into Iowa also right through Dubuque IA. As I said yesterday the ride is about all of the senses and as I came down the hill leading to the bridge to cross the Mississippi in the air was the scent of cut wood emanating from a saw mill of some type. It is hard to explain but it makes the ride.

I have gone through Northern Illinois three times and I have to say it is some of the prettiest country that you will ever see. Very rural, and hilly. A must ride for any biker. Last year’s ride on Old 30 was even better than this one.

Today’s trip took me to Dyersville Iowa and Clear Lake Iowa. Dyersville is the home of the Field of Dreams. This is a beautiful old school baseball field that is kept in meticulous condition. Best of all it is open for anyone to play some baseball for free. My GPS took me on a very old style dirt farm road, to get there. But the payoff was worth it because as I came around a turn with corn up to my eyes I was able to see the lights signaling that the field was quite near. As I came around the final turn it was a sight to behold if you love baseball. This field could be the home base of the Church of baseball. True to the movie there was no fence… only corn. I kept looking for Shoeless Joe.




The next stop of the day took me North to Clear Lake Iowa. This town is best known for being the home of The Surf Ballroom. It was in the Surf Ballroom where Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper played their final concert in February of 1959. Throughout Rock and Roll this day is known as the day the music died. This term of course immortalized in the song by American Pie by Don McClean.


The Surf is like taking a step back in time. It is an incredible venue with a gorgeous stage, a huge wooden dance hall and all sorts of great images from the past. You can see that the current owner cares because the condition of the building, inside and out is superb for a very old building. If you love Rock and Roll history the Surf is a must for you. Each year on the weekend of Buddy Holly’s untimely death the Surf Ballroom host a Day the Music Day concert. To this day the Surf is known for hosting Rock & Roll Concerts and Big Bands for famous dance parties. The Town of Clear Lake is gorgeous and almost resort like. Sorry no pics of the Surf for they are on my digital camera and I do not have the correct cable to transfer them to my laptop. Bummer. Maybe I will stop and buy a cheap one.



For my biker friends… I have to say the new 210 Road Glide with the lowers and the 14 inch Windvest Shield is superb. The bike cruise without effort at highway speeds with plenty of power no real wheel wobble that the old framed baggers are known for. As for the Windvest shield… I only took one bug hit all day. Superb. What is most impressive is that the handling of the bike is so stable when trucks pass you from either direction. The fixed fairing makes a huge difference. The final bit is that I purchased and am using an Airhawk Seat Cushion. If you are touring these things are indispensable.


I spent the night at the Blue Lake KOA in Onawa . I have included a great picture of my camp on the lake with the sun setting.

2 comments:

  1. Is it envy? Is it jealousy? Either way I'm thinking I'd rather be doing what you are doing instead of having to work. Shoulda been a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. US-20 in Illinois from Elizabeth to Dubuque is one of the prettiest drives I know of anywhere.

    ReplyDelete