Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Day One on the Lincoln Highway (LH)

When I pulled out of Cranberry Township just after nine AM I anticipated a long day due to what looked like poor weather. One look at the picture of downtown from the West End Bridge will confirm my story. Much to my surprise and to my delight I avoided rain showers all day and actually had some good sun. A dry day on the bike is a good day.

As I mentioned the trip officially started in Pittsburgh. The LH originally ran out of Pittsburgh towards Avalon on California Ave which turns into Lincoln Ave in Bellevue. Due to congestion and poor roads the LH was rerouted up Steuben St and onto Route 60 which eventually picked up 30 out in the Imperial area. Remember, many of these roads were not paved or if they were they were paved poorly. I stopped by the turn on to 30 in Imperial to snap an image and a guy on a motor scooter passed me by, turned around and came back to check to see if I was okay. Bikers no matter what they ride have a genuine concern for their fellow bikers. Good to know.

The first individual Rt 30 sign was spotted by Imperial. Once into Chester WV I spotted the gigantic T pot that they are famous for but I did not stop due to construction.


Ohio has embraced the entire LH idea. I am happy they did since my GPS did not have the planned route programmed due to a GPS technical failure. All of the turns were properly marked with LH Byway Signs... nice. Ohio landscape quickly flattens out as you move Westward but their enthusiasm for the LH is constant from start to finish. There are so many signs and businesses named after Lincoln... more than you can imagine.

I have attached a few images... the highlight of the day was a very long brick section that is just west of Minerva, Ohio. It is the longest section of original brick pavement from the LH that is still in use and is still in great condition. FYI... Pittsburgh has a nice section just east of Sewickley off of Rt 65 where the 79 intersection is. There isa small community down by the river whose name escapes me right now. If you go there you will find a nice section of yellow bricks which were original paving bricks from back in the day.

The day ended in Fort Wayne Indiana, which is where the Lincoln Highway originally started.


More from thhe Licoln Highway... tomorrow

3 comments:

  1. I love your shots of the brick road. One day I'll get out to see them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a safe trip Chris. I'm looking forward to following your progress
    Tim Snyder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude. What a cool experience. Enjoy! Be sure to sample the different local dishes along the way.

    ReplyDelete