Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day 5

Today I made an executive decision....I decided to leave the LH and head North West on Nebraska State Highway 2 and then North to Hot Springs South Dakota. After the great day I had in Iowa I do not believe the LH could get much better. :)

Seriously, I wanted to see the Black Hills , Rushmore and visit Sturgis. Since my time was cut back I knew eventually I would have to decide where to leave the LH. State Highway 2 is a scenic route that goes through the the Sand Hill portion of Nebraska. http://www.sandhillsjourney.com/

This is a must see. Coming out of Grand Island the elevation increases while the hills go from gentle rolling hills to some pretty big hills. The amazing part was at one time these were all dunes that have since been covered with grass and have been used for grazing cattle since the late 1800's
At one point in Nebraska I went over one hour without seeing one car.

If you look carefully you can see sand bleeding from the hillside in one of the images.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_Hills_(Nebraska)
The Wiki article said that some of these dunes exceed 330 feet ad occupy more than one quarter of the entire state. Who knew????

These are some great roads that are worth visiting.
Tomorrow... Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Walls Drug Store.

I am staying the night in Hot Springs South Dakota.

No comments:

Post a Comment