Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Ride Home From Seattle to Pittsburgh (Four Months Later)

It has taken me four months to sit down and write this but I finally got it down on paper.

During the Summer of 2010 I completed the second half of my crossing of the United States the on the Lincoln Highway. The Lincoln Highway Terminus is located in Lincoln Park not far from the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. After completing the trip I rode the pacific coast to Seattle where I visited with some friends.


When it was time to go home I decided to take US 2 out of Seattle through the Cascade Mountains. Route Two passes through the Stevens Pass Greenway. It is one of two east-west highways with mountain passes open year-round in Washington State. The 105-mile Stevens Pass scenic byway winds through the rugged, forested Cascade Mountains and runs beside Skykomish and Wenatchee rivers along most of its length. The rivers running along the highway provided a beautiful view over every hill and around every turn.







If you are ever out this way please make certain to take some time to visit the town of Leavenworth. It is a reproduction of a German village high in the hills with a Bavarian tourism theme. Totally gorgeous and well worth the time spent.



Through Montana, US 2 passes through three Indian reservations, Most of the Montana segment of runs close to the northern BNSF Railway main line. It is in Montana where you understand the term "Big Skies" Riding across the Northern Plains on a Harley Tour Bike reminded me of the Seger song "Roll Me Away"

Took a bead on the northern plains
and just rolled that power on.

All you can see are fields of gold with the two lane black top of US 2 staring you down, daring you to keep those wheels a turnin'.








As I was riding from Idaho into Montana the trip took a slight detour. Just outside of Montana I stopped for coffee at a road stop. While there I made conversation with other travelers and some locals. When they see a Pennsylvania plate on a motorcycle they are always interested in what you are doing. One of the perks of traveling solo is that people will approach you and start conversing whereas if you are with a group this will not happen.

As I was ready to leave the rest area I spotted something on the ground about forty feet away. I rolled my bike over to find a wallet. The wallet had a drivers license, a military ID and some of the basic stuff you would find in a mans wallet. I looked for a phone number but had no luck and besides up in these hills there is little cell service. I figured it was lost or stolen and tossed since there was no money. I threw it in my pack and figured I would send it to back through the U.S. Mail with a nice note telling him where I found it.

As I was riding, I kept thinking that this guy is probably going crazy looking for his lost wallet. I pulled over to see where he lived. Turned out he was from Missoula Montana. The town of Missoula was south of US 2 and was a slight detour for me but I decided to make the delivery. It was the least I could do for a Staff Sergeant in the United States Army. So I set my GPS to the address listed on his drivers license and off I went not knowing what I would eventually find.



With the sun starting its descent into the evening sky, into Missoula I rolled. I made a turn onto his street which was a typical small town street. As I rolled down the street near his house a middle age woman was standing in the driveway speaking to two younger woman in an SUV. The sound of my Harley caught their attention and they were all staring. When I turned into their driveway, stopped and took off my helmet they almost became slightly alarmed.

I politely introduced my self as Chris from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and that I was there to speak to the Nathan because I had something that belonged to him. Before I could finish my sentence they started screaming and cheering and repeatedly kept asking me where I found it. Within a moment, Nathan appeared and was walking down the sidewalk asking me where I found it. He was in total disbelief. He stated that he searched and searched and was getting ready to call his credit card companies to report the cards as lost. Turns out the wallet popped out of his pocket when he was pulling the leash for his dog that was also tucked in his back pocket. The dog took off and he quickly ran after it losing his wallet in the process.



He then began to ask me what he could give me and my reply was "nothing, it is the least I could do for a member of our armed forces". It turns out that Nathan had already served four tours in Afghanistan. A few moments later Nate's father came outside, on his hat it said U.S. Marines, Vietnam 69-74. Again, his father asked what he could do for me and my reply was I owe more to you than you could ever give to me. I explained to them that I truly felt this way and they graciously accepted my reply. They are a family of true patriots and have given more to our country than we could ever realize. We are all indebted to them for their service.

Without a doubt this was the best part of my 18 day trip. I quit blogging after this portion because it just could not get any better.

Nathan, Merry Christmas to you and your family and Stay safe where ever you are.

3 comments:

  1. Great story Chris...Thanks for 'passing it on'. HippieDave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting the blog finished and the ride too Chris! It was a pleasure to meet you in person in Ely, NV and spend some time with you and Rick too. Hope to see you in Vermont this June 2011. Good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too set out on a cross country motorcycle trip last summer and I remember thinking I must be crazy until our paths crossed in NE. There I realized at least I wasn't the only crazy one riding cross country alone lol.

    ReplyDelete